the thesis is taking over my life; that is the reason for the silence. but I am currently also thinking about the following things:
- what is the distinction between public and popular history?
- if concepts/ideas have histories, can they have definitions?
- no empire is sustainable — true/false?
- how does literature inform history, if at all?
- can history be written divorced from any reliance (implicit or otherwise) on the idea of progress?
- can history be written without being conscious of methodology?
all these will be confronted in due course, perhaps even in essay form. #2 seems to require deeper philosophical contemplation vis-a-vis nature of language.
also thinking about how I have 24 days before the thesis deadline